Hi all,

Since we have 'Practices' in our name I thought I'd ask you all how you handle something that we need to address in our repository. For various reasons we have the need to support 'expungements' where we delete a particular set of content and its metadata. We document other significant events in PREMIS metadata embedded in object descriptors, but after this action there won't be any metadata for this content to record the event.

I'd like to keep some kind of record that the expungement happened though but am not aware of any 'standard' or common ways of recording high-level repository events outside of PREMIS events associated with content. Do any of you have a method for doing this or know of any used in other preservation repositories?

thanks,
Andrea

Andrea Goethals
Digital Preservation and Repository Services Manager
Harvard Library
(617) 495-3724