501(c)(3) is just if you want nonprofit status for tax exempt status.
Really, with so many of us in maker spaces, I'm sure plenty of people
here have been through the 501(c)(3) paperwork recently.  The other
reason you want a corporation is that then the corporation gets
liability, and not an individual member of the organization.

Both options involve doing something and then having to keep doing
things, and that's a hassle.

The least hassle way to do this is to, like Roy said, get an existing
organization to handle the money.  An organization that is already
handling money is already set up to handle money.

-Wilhelmina Randtke