I would investigate what technical solutions the CMS offers. Things like
red text should be able to be limited; basic filters can strip out style
attributes and leave authors with the choice of only a few, pre-defined
tags (p, a, headers, lists, etc.) with globally-defined styles. If your CMS
can't do that, it's not managing content very well.

And just to be contrarian, Nielsen says multiple exclamation points are
good: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/really-break-grammar-rules/

In all seriousness, I was an English major and have a hard time stomaching
those recommendations, but hey the web is not an academic paper.

Best,
Eric Phetteplace
Emerging Technologies Librarian
Chesapeake College