These are exactly the same issues we are experiencing.
We had some support from individuals at Atlas Systems, and no specific
recommendations.

One library found a solution on their own; I don't have all the details.
It involved installing stunnel (https://www.stunnel.org/index.html) as an
in-between layer that runs on the ILLiad server and manages the secure
communication. The ILLiad configuration LDAP keys are then set to talk
with stunnel locally.

We haven't yet tried this yet.

Eric

     Please note that this e-mail and any files transmitted from

     Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center may be privileged, confidential,

     and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of

     you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution,

     copying, or other use of this communication or any of its attachments

     is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in

     error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message

     and deleting this message, any attachments, and all copies and backups

     from your computer.