If you want to use checksums to show fixity of files, then changing the
files is incompatible with that. You may want to show that a file did not
change during transfer or ingest by calculating a checksum before it is
moved to the repository and again after it was ingested. Then you could
say that so long as the checksum doesn't change while the file is in the
repository, or maybe when it is transferred out of the repository as part
of a SIP, the file hasn't changed.

If you want this kind of fixity information, you can't change the file
itself. Instead you could either store the cover sheet separately from the
file, but within the same AIP, or create a derived file with the cover
sheet (and keep the original) and log the process steps (i.e. how the
files relate). These ways could help demonstrate that you took care of the
archival material and keep a provenance trail.

Regards,

Ben

Ben Companjen
Information scientist
+31 6 1334 9717
Skype: bencompanjen

Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS)
DANS promotes sustained access to digital research data. See
www.dans.knaw.nl <http://www.dans.knaw.nl/> for more information and
contact details. DANS is an institute of KNAW and NWO.

DANS | Anna van Saksenlaan 51 | 2593 HW The Hague | P.O. Box 93067 | 2509
AB The Hague | +31 70 349 44 50 | [log in to unmask] | www.dans.knaw.nl
<http://www.dans.knaw.nl/>