It sounds like what you need to do is a bit of guerrilla education for people on good methods of writing for the web versus things that are not appropriate for a professional setting. I have dealt with (and still am) a similar situation. The best approach I find is often to do a better version without stomping on their changes, talk to them, and explain why it is a better approach. Eventually if you are lucky they will have that ‘Aha’ moment.