Karen,

There are tools out there, like the OpenRefine[1], and specifically the
Reconciliation Service API's [2] which can be built to interact with it,
which are meant to help solve this problem. For instance, the there is a
third-party VIAF Reconciliation service [3] built on top of the VIAF API
which will take a plain text name of a person and try to find a VIAF URI
for it. There are a lot of ways that Reconciliation Service could be
improved,and creating an in-house version that really leverages the data in
VIAF to work with OpenRefine's methods could be a fantastic example of how
a data provider like OCLC can meet owners of legacy data more than
half-way. Just making the data (and and API) available was already half-way
because it allowed the community to innovate with it. If they can take the
next step, FANTASTIC, but if they don't I'm not holding it against them.

Best,
Chad

1 - http://openrefine.org/
2 - https://github.com/OpenRefine/OpenRefine/wiki/Reconciliation-Service-API