Historically, there's resistance to forming anything like an organization
around Code4Lib proper. A great point of pride in the community is our
generally anarcho-communist approach to self-organization and
self-determination -- Code4Lib is manifestly not an organization, and yet
[X], for many values of X that are challenging for even "proper"
organizations to pull off. There's definitely concern that forming an
organization and bylaws and the like would make it harder for Code4Lib to
do its thing as Code4Lib, up to and including potentially fundamentally
disrupting what Code4Lib is at its core.

On the other hand, there would be a definite value -- and there is a
demonstrated need -- for some kind of ongoing structure to support the
community's regular activities, help manage budget handoffs between
conferences, and the like. I think the notion of a "Friends of Code4Lib"
has the potential of solving the financial trust/financial continuity issue
without putting the community itself at risk of being burdened by too much
structure.

That being said, I think even the idea of Friends of Code4lib, organization
once removed, is probably worthy of serious discussion among the community
so we can understand how it's going to fit in with the bigger Code4Lib
organism.

-dre.