I'd second the suggestions from Erin with regards establishing style guides and Ross's suggestion of peer review. While not quite directly about the issue you have, Paul Boag a UK web designer has spoken and blogged on how clear policies relying on quantitative measures can help establish clear policies and (perhaps!) take some of the emotion out of decision making - e.g. see http://boagworld.com/business-strategy/website-animal/ - perhaps a similar approach might help here as well.

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com