Thank you to everyone who responded to my question, your input is very much appreciated.

-Brian

Brian McBride
Head of Application Development
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah

O: 801.585.7613
F:  801.585.5549

On Apr 3, 2014, at 12:43 PM, Kerchner, Daniel <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Hi Brian,

A few months ago we built and deployed a simple python/django app that can
display real-time availability of public workstations, and collects data on
when each workstation is offline (as in, unplugged), in use (a user has
logged in), or available (not in use).  It collects data on when each usage
session started and ended, and also when each period of downtime (offline)
started/ended.

Feel free to check out our github repo at
https://github.com/gwu-libraries/loggins - and the public interface is at
computers.library.gwu.edu<http://computers.library.gwu.edu/> .  There's some info on the API at
http://computers.library.gwu.edu/usage .  It should be fairly easy to
define buildings/zones/floors etc. for your specific environment - there
shouldn't be anything GWU-specific in there at this point.  Please feel
free to contact me if you're interested in using it, and I can help with
any questions.  There are certainly prettier apps out there, but this one
works for us right now.

*Dan Kerchner*

*Senior Software Developer, Scholarly Technology Group *

*The George Washington University Libraries Gelman Library2130 H Street,
NWWashington, DC 20052202-994-7947 <202-994-7947>[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>*