*Electronic and Continuing Resources Librarian*

*For the complete posting and application instructions see usajobs.gov
<http://usajobs.gov> at: *
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/368195700.

The Smithsonian Libraries invites applications for a collaborative and
flexible professional to fill the position of Electronic and Continuing
Resources Librarian.  The Electronic and Continuing Resources Librarian
reports to the Assistant Director of Discovery Services and works closely
with Acquisitions and Research Services staff to plan, implement, and
manage all aspects of the continuing resource lifecycle for both print and
electronic materials. The incumbent supports the current electronic
resource management system, the discovery service, and helps SL
(Smithsonian Libraries) identify and implement tools for managing and
delivering electronic resources. The incumbent manages the resource
cataloging and supervises technicians who do the ordering, check-in, and
claiming of electronic journals, periodicals, standing orders, and gift and
exchange items.

Specifically, the Electronic and Continuing Resources Librarian:

   - Coordinates the management of all continuing resources, including
   electronic journals and databases, after they are acquired.
   - Partners with the Acquisitions Librarian and branch staff on the
   ordering and payment activity of continuing resources.  Collects, analyzes,
   and presents use, purchase, and availability data of electronic resources.
   - Directs the implementation of the Library’s discovery service (Serials
   Solutions’ Summon and 360 products). Works with colleagues to provide
   access to resources, to evaluate the Libraries’ discovery environment,
   and to develop and implement innovative solutions for resource discovery.
   - The incumbent develops and maintains tools for the management of
   electronic resources, including Serials Solutions 360 products updates and
   related services. Provides technology support to users of electronic
   resources.
   - Develops policies and procedures for the description, handling, and
   preservation of continuing resources.
   - Collaborates with Digital Services staff to provide support for
   electronic and digital collections, including Smithsonian Research
Online<http://research.si.edu/>(SRO), SI’s
   digital repository <http://repository.si.edu/>, and other various image
   and resource collections.

*Required Qualifications*

   - Ability to supervise a diverse staff.
   - Skill with automated check-in systems and receiving.
   - Ability to manage print and electronic subscriptions, along with
   disseminating and presenting pricing and availability data.
   - Ability to create and edit descriptive MARC records on OCLC and in an
   Integrated Library System, using current national cataloging standards,
   principles, and practices.
   - Ability to work with a discovery service, manage account permissions,
   and to update and evaluate options to enhance usability of subscriptions
   and services.  Ability to implement and use electronic resources’ knowledge
   base management system.
   - Knowledge of current activities and solutions in the description,
   discovery, and management of electronic collections, journals and
   resources.

Situated at the center of the world's largest museum complex, the
Smithsonian Libraries forms a vital part of the research, exhibition, and
educational enterprise of the Institution. The Libraries unites 20
librariesinto one system supported by central collections
support services. We maintain publication exchanges with more than 4,000
institutions worldwide that supply Smithsonian scientists and curators with
current periodicals, exhibition catalogs, and professional society
publications. The Smithsonian Libraries participates in the advancement of
science and the arts just as we have from the inception of the Institution.
Acting as both public and academic library, as both scholarly resource and
general information service, the Libraries offers a galaxy of resources and
the help of informed staff to anyone through the Internet or in person.

By working at the Smithsonian, you make an important contribution to an
Institution beloved by the American public and visitors from around the
world. The Smithsonian is the guardian of some of our nation’s most
valuable scientific, historic and artistic treasures and is a leader in
research, innovation and discovery. We offer our visitors a unique,
inspiring experience and we offer those who work here a chance to make a
difference in the cultural life of our nation. The Smithsonian Institution
values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations
through Knowledge and Discovery."

The job posting will be open until May 9, 2014 and review of applications
will begin immediately. The complete announcement and application
instructions are on USAJOBS:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/368195700. Review health and
leave benefits at: http://www.si.edu/OHR/benefits.  Please contact Polly
Khater at [log in to unmask] with any questions.