Jonathan,

Different communities have different benefits.

   1. Library catalogers, at least, seem sold on the idea of using URIs if
   they can then populate the display value of fields with strings. I've been
   giving them this scenario for about 4 years now, and they're sold. This
   would simplify the tasks of cleaning up old metadata records and updating
   subject headings, etc. The question is how to accomplish this given the
   constraints of existing systems and content standards. Maintain two
   systems, one for input and one for display, pushing data from one to the
   other with a export --> normalize --> import routine? Not viable for most
   institutions. So, near-term in theory, pie-in-the-sky in reality.
   2. The benefits to metadata aggregators seem obvious; if the aggregators
   can access the linked data form of the records, it greatly simplifies data
   pre-processing. Near-term in theory, but only if enough individual
   institutions participate. I have no idea where the tipping point on that
   would be. But see #1 for the problem of getting the linked data.
   3. The benefits to researchers are longer-term and less defined in my
   mind. Improved ability to explore data aggregations is the primary one I
   can think of.
   4. The benefits to other users are the ones that seem most nebulous. I
   don't even have data on whether people use Semantic Web-enabled tools like
   Google's Knowledge Graph or how much value they perceive in rich snippets.
   Google apparently thinks there's value, because apparently they spend a lot
   of time adding schema.org markup to their index to enable snippets (
   http://searchengineland.com/schema-markup-shows-36-google-search-results-almost-websites-use-study-189707
   ).

Danielle

--