From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Brent E Hanner
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 4:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Very frustrated with Drupal

Couple things.

Drupal documentation has heavily gone the way of the screencast, while I
personally think they move too slowly, but I'm like that.  There have been
times where I haven't been able to figure something out and I've watched a
screencast on a module and not only find the solution to my problem but
learn of two other features I didn't know about.

The module "problem" you describe is the downside of a very conscious
decision made by the community.  There are several reasons.  Firstly by
having more but smaller modules for things it means that you can reduce the
size of the code on the system, if every feature you might want was in the
main modules you would have a lot of code you don't need being loaded into
the system.  Secondly it means someone working on a feature you don't use is
unlikely to break your code by changing something higher up to fit their
needs and breaks yours.  Thirdly it allows individuals and groups of people
to try doing things differently and let the community choose which best
serves their needs.

This brings up something else about modules.  There is a reason the
information about the number of sites using the module is on the webpage,
the more you stick to modules heavily used the less likely you will run into
update problems and the more likely someone will figure it out and fix it
before you even notice it.

Which brings me to the next thing.  Google is your friend.  Drupal throws
you an error put it in Google and most of the time you will get the answer.
Same goes with wanting to know about how to do something.

Which brings me to the fact that there is a Drupal way of doing things that
can seem odd from time to time for people who know how to code decently.
The Drupal way isn't necessarily the "right" way something should be done,
but the best way to do it with the peculiarities of Drupal.  The more you do
things the Drupal way instead of how you think they should be done the
easier things become.  If instead of writing your own module you find a way
to use a Drupal module to accomplish what you want, that module may
eventually do exactly what you want and in 2-3 years when you have to
upgrade there is a decent chance the module will be upgraded and if not you
will have a group of people using the same one you are trying to upgrade to
help each other through the process.

The reason I have no intention of leaving Drupal is actually its robust
multi-user support.  Your right pulling data out of databases and displaying
it is easy.  Giving people control of parts of a website's content is
complicated.  Stale content because its too difficult to change things is
rarely a good thing.

On a closing note, if a system comes along that does everything Drupal does
and more with better performance and what not I would consider changing, but
one thing noticeable in this thread is that outside of WordPress for simpler
stuff there is no consensus on other products out there.  Projects need a
certain amount of mass to keep them going forward with enough momentum to
continue to thrive.  Drupal has that for the time being.

The only book I have found that I like on Drupal is Drupal for Designers.
It assumes you know how to make a webpage but aren't a programmer but want
to leverage the things Drupal can do, so it is very different than other
Drupal books I have or have come across.

Brent