On 29 May 2014 22:44, Jon Stroop <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Riley,
>
> First, I wonder if there's anyone on this list who doesn't wish they had
> your foresight! You already have rare opportunity in that you're thinking
> about this now and not in your mid-20s, so way to go!

Heh, hear hear.

My own background was in IT with a degree in data communications (network
engineering, effectively).  I did that for about eight years, ending up in
management accounting, before deciding to refocus on LIS and taking a
Master's degree in it.

I second the rest of the advice to get as broad an education as you can.
 In hiring, I'll generally favour people who have done "interesting" and
varied things throughout their career, as opposed to someone who has
laser-like focused on a single field.  No position is going to be entirely
in the one field, so by diversifying you're going to increase the potential
number of positions you're qualified for.

Cheers,
Craig