That said, if the SD folks want to go out one night without having to do
much planning or coordination -- think "meetup" here rather than "local
code4lib meeting" -- they should be be encouraged to do that too.

I would also encourage folks to keep these discussions on-list instead of
responding privately, if that's OK with Bee and other interested folks.
 It'll be good for the broader community to watch the SD/SoCal crowd
self-organize, learn from it, and lend a hand where appropriate!

-Mike