> This is a pretty terrible reply.

I thought it was a great reply.

> obscure words (seriously, shibboleth?)

Somewhat obscure, but not so much in Code4Lib.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibboleth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibboleth_(Internet2)

> Unless you're trying to be sarcastic...in which case ignore this.

He most definitely was.

I believe Stuart's point was to suggest that when the multiple
requests for a separate list for job notices get immediately shot down
with "no - use an email filter, or are you stupid?" [1] it doesn't
help to create an "inclusive" and "good learning environment".

[1] NB the respondents aren't explicitly "are you stupid" but that's
how it may be taken by some people.

> And to answer the original question - job listings help more people than they annoy so they should be kept as-is.

My view is that it would make more sense to have separate discussion
and job notice lists, as I see in other places. But I'm not that
bothered personally, as I would subscribe to both and filter them into
the same folder in my mail client. :-)

Cheers
David