Gavin,

It looks like ExifTool is extracting the XML metadata, but isn't
translating it into ASCII - 60 63 120 109 108 is the "<?xml" header, and
I'm sure that the rest of those values are the fulltext that you're looking
for.  According to the FAQ (
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/faq.html), the --charset
exif=CHARSET will tell it to convert to your character set of choice.

Regards,
Alex