I am a Django developer, and would certainly prefer working with Django to
working with Drupal ;)  It's very straightforward to write CRUD views, and
there are several CMSes already written on top of Django. (Here is 100% of
what I know about them: the lead developer of mezzanine seems nice;
django-cms is currently making me want to tear my hair out and it its views
are slow.)

That said, I would think carefully about whether moving to
Django-or-something actually reduces your truck number. I strongly suspect
Drupal knowledge is more widespread in libraries than Python knowledge.

I assume you've already read the O'Reilly Using Drupal book, and one or
more of Nina McHale's things on Drupal in libraries?

I'm happy to answer specific questions you have in re Django.

Andromeda Yelton
LITA Board of Directors, Director-at-Large, 2013-2016
http://andromedayelton.com
@ThatAndromeda