The fact that the only person who has given any acknowledgement of
understanding my message was someone else in .ac.nz suggests that
despite my best efforts my message content was effectively shredded by
the implicit conversion from New Zealand English to International English.

My apologies; I withdraw my original email.

To translate explicitly into International English, my point was:

"I have observed that an individuals position on mail filtering vs
separate mailing lists appears to be an implicit marker of group
membership in this group (i.e. a shibboleth)."

Note that I do not endorse this or any other marker of group membership,
but my understanding of psychology of groups suggest that all functional
groups have markers of group membership and that attempting to eliminate
markers of group membership in an attempt at inclusiveness (a) can in
itself be a marker of group membership and (b) is only likely to drive a
shift from relative explicit markers to relatively implicit markers.

cheers
stuart