Riley, I'm also a humanities darling , and I'm completely self-taught on
the IT front (Lynda.com and the Head First books are a godsend if you're
going that route). Web Development and Systems Administration are two big
areas to think about specializing in.

My systems librarian role has ended up with a lot of successful
troubleshooting through my interest in information and computer history, We
had a Z39.5 bug that was tracked down as being due to an obscure aspect of
the MARC cataloging format interacting with the specific implementation of
YAZ in our ILS. I didn't know the answer, but I was able to track down the
listserv that could provide me with the answer.

 The humanities program I was in (I did history, religious studies
(anthropology/history/comparative religion) and some digital humanities
English as undergrad) did give me the research tools, but not the specific
technical skills.

I've learned rather quickly that understanding how information is
structured is critical, and then depending on my own fast learning and my
vendors for the specific details has been the core of my successful
projects. You might want to look for courses in information architecture
and database design because those skills are widely applicable to other
thorny information management problems.

Best advice I can give, is start building your own library projects now
with one of the Head First books or a Lynda.com subscription. They don't
have to be spectacular, but you can get a feel for how to build and
structure websites, use Javascript and Jquery, maybe some further
programming with Python or Ruby. Get a cheap laptop or desktop and install
Koha and Evergreen, try out SolrMARC and Blacklight. Get your hands dirty
and break things when you're not working with production systems.

Best of luck,

Brett Williams
Systems  & Electronic Resources Librarian
College of the North Atlantic - Qatar