> Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 07:51:02 +1200
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] separate list for jobs
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> On 05/07/2014 04:59 AM, Richard Sarvas wrote:
> > Not to be a jerk about this, but why is the answer always "No"? There seem to be more posts on this list relating to job openings than there are relating to code discussions. Are job postings a part why this list was originally created? If so, I'll stop now.
>
> The answer is always "no" because we are collectively using the the
> possession of an email client with filtering capability and the personal
> knowledge of how to use it as a Shibboleth for group membership. Those
> who find it easier to complain than write a filter mark themselves as
> members of the outgroup intruding on the ingroup.
>
> cheers
> stuart

This is a pretty terrible reply. Besides being rude, you're creating an artificial divide between "us" and "them". No one is 'intruding' on anyone - it's a public forum for people who work in LIBRARIES (aka - places where inclusion is supposed to rule) without any filtering of participants, so technically anyone with an email address is part of the 'ingroup'. Just because you think you're one of the cool kids doesn't mean you should try to intimidate others with obscure words (seriously, shibboleth?) and patronizing tone.

Unless you're trying to be sarcastic...in which case ignore this. But it doesn't come across that way.

Also, asking why isn't complaining.

And to answer the original question - job listings help more people than they annoy so they should be kept as-is.

Sarah