I contributed to a session like this in the UK aimed at cataloguers/metadata librarians http://www.cilip.org.uk/cataloguing-and-indexing-group/events/linked-data-what-cataloguers-need-know-cig-event.
All the slide decks used are available at http://www.cilip.org.uk/cataloguing-and-indexing-group/linked-data-what-cataloguers-need-know
Specifically my introduction to SPARQL slides are at http://www.slideshare.net/ostephens/selecting-with-sparql-using-british-national-bibliography-as, and link to various example SPARQL queries that can be run on the BNB SPARQL endpoint (SPARQL examples are all Gists at https://gist.github.com/ostephens)

Not sure about the practicalities of bringing this to staff in the US, although planning is in progress for another event in the UK along the same lines and I'd be happy to put you in touch with the relevant people on the committee to see if there is any possibility of having it webcast if there was interest.

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com