From: Joshua Welker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2014 2:32 PM
To: Code for Libraries
Subject: RE: [CODE4LIB] Excel to XML (for a Drupal Feeds import)

This should be quite doable in most programming languages with
out-of-the-box tools and no tricky parsing code. The gist is to save in
Excel as a delimited text file (tab is a good choice), then have your script
ingest the document and turn it into an array, and then turn the array into
XML. In Python, it could be something like the code below (not tested but
the principles should be sound):

import 'csv'
from elementtree.ElementTree import Element, SubElement

#create a list
mylist = []

#open your delimited file with a csv reader with open('myfile.txt', 'rb') as
textfile:
  reader = csv.reader( textfile, delimiter='\t', quotechat='"')     #this
assumes your file is tab-delimited (\t)

  #loop through rows in your file and save each row as a key/value pair
(dictionary)
  for row in textfile:
    fields = {
      'field1': row[0]
      'field2': row[1]
      'field3': row[2]
      'field4': row[3]
    }

    #append this row to our master list
    mylist.append( fields )

#create an xml root node
rootNode = Element("XmlRoot")

#loop through our list of "rows" from the text file and create xml nodes for
row in mylist:
  rowNode = Element("record")

  #loop through all the fields on this "row" and turn them into xml nodes
  for fieldName, fieldValue in row:
    fieldNode = Element(fieldName)
    fieldNode.text = fieldValue

    #append each field node to the parent row node
    rowNode.append(fieldNode)

  #append each row node to the document root node
  rootNode.append(rowNode)

#now save the whole thing as an xml file with open('myfile.xml', 'wb') as
file
 ElementTree(rootNode).write(file)

Josh Welker