Hi,

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Stuart Yeates <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As I read it, 'Freedom to Read' means that we have to take active steps to
> protect that rights of our readers to read what they want and  in private.
[snip]
> * building HTTPS Everywhere-like functionality into LMSs (such functionality
> may already exist, I'm not sure)

Many ILSs can be configured to require SSL to access their public
interfaces, and I think it would be worthwhile to encourage that as a
default expectation for discovery interfaces.

However, I think that's only part of the picture for ILSs.  Other
parts would include:

* staff training on handling patron and circulation data
* ensuring that the ILS has the ability to control (and let users
control) how much circulation and search history data gets retained
* ensuring that the ILS backup policy strikes the correct balance
between having enough for disaster recovery while not keeping
individually identifiable circ history forever
* ensuring that contracts with ILS hosting providers and services that
access patron data from the ILS have appropriate language concerning
data retention and notification of subpoenas.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton