AVPreserve is pleased to announce the release of our Cost of Inaction
Calculator, a free online tool that helps organizations analyze the
implications of varying levels of preservation actions when dealing with
legacy audiovisual collections.

COI adds a data point to ROI, or Return on Investment, and helps articulate
what stands to be lost or gained in terms of finances, access, and
intellect based on different scenarios related to digitization, physical
storage, digital storage, and media longevity.

This tool is not an argument to digitize everything, but rather to help
caretakers make informed decisions that promote and enable progress towards
taking action. With the window closing on our opportunity to preserve the
audiovisual record we can't do everything, but we can do *something*. COI
is a means to quantify what that something can be.

The Cost of Inaction Calculator and supporting documentation are available
at https://coi.avpreserve.com/. Watch a video explaining the rationale
behind COI at https://coi.avpreserve.com/rationale

Bertram Lyons, CA
AVPreserve