I learned about ORCID at the VIVO conference last August, and followed
up by attending the ORCID Community Outreach meeting two weeks ago. At
UCLA, we see ORCID as a key service to name disambiguation.

The ORCID organization works effectively with all the constituents by
defining roles appropriately. First, each researcher controls her own
ORCID, and can limit the exposure of attributes on the orcid.org site.
When a research organization assign an ORCID to their community of
researchers (outlined below), each assignee can opt out if they so
choose. This feature alone will help us sell the program to our faculty.

Publishers have a critical role. An increasing number of them are
accepting ORCIDs and including them in the article metadata. When
publishers expose this metadata attribute, finding an author means
following a link rather than executing a disambiguation algorithm.

Finally, research organizations can pull these elements together for
their community of researchers. UCLA signed up for a creator membership,
which will allow us to bulk assign ORCIDs for all of our researchers. We
are starting with faculty, but may extend it to graduate students in the
future.

We are implementing a Drupal module to manage the process. We will
create Drupal accounts for faculty, and use a drush script (Drupal
scripting) to assign ORCIDs using a file of faculty campus IDs. The
script will create a Drupal account, call the ORCID APIs to search for
an existing ORCID, create a new one when necesssary, and add the ORCID
as an attribute of the faculty Drupal account. Faculty members will be
able to retrieve their ORCID from the Library's web site by
authenticating via Shibboleth.

We also plan to allow faculty and catalogers to add other IDs: Scopus
and Researcher ID, LC Name Authority, and more.

The point of all of this is to make these identifiers available to
campus partners. The first two are Opus, a faculty information system
being developed by the Academic Personnel Office, and CDL's
implementation of Symplectic Elements to support the open access policy.
I also hope to convince our campus Shibboleth IdP to add ORCID as a new
attribute.

I am writing this message from DrupalCon in Austin. Yesterday, our
contractor met with a programmer from Argonne National Laboratory who is
working on a Drupal lmodule with more complete ORCID API support. Those
efforts will be merged so anyone using Drupal will have a set of modules
to support their requirements.

--Gary
(Sorry for the length of this response. I will submit it as an abstract
for a forthcoming Code4Lib Journal proposal.)
On 6/4/2014 12:17 PM, Oxnam, Maliaca G - (maliaca) wrote:
> I'm also curious as to whether institutions are looking at including any of these identifiers in their university-wide data systems, as opposed to just being maintained in library-land.
>
> At the University of Arizona, the campus is implementing an online system for faculty reviews that aims to pull publication data directly from publisher sources (as contracted/allowed by the data source). For obvious reasons of researcher disambiguation having these different identifiers reported and stored would be beneficial.
>
> -=- Maliaca
>

> Maliaca Oxnam
> Associate Librarian
> Office of Digital Innovation & Stewardship
> University of Arizona Libraries
> Tucson, AZ
> http://orcid.org/0000-0002-0201-8605

---