From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Eric Lease Morgan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 1:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] orcid and researcherid and scopus, oh my

ORDID and ResearcherID and Scopus, oh my!

It is just me, or are there an increasing number of unique identifiers popping up in Library Land? A person can now be identified with any one of a number of URIs such as:

  * ORCID - http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9952-7800
  * ResearcherID - http://www.researcherid.com/rid/F-2062-2014
  * Scopus - http://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.url?authorId=25944695600
  * VIAF - http://viaf.org/viaf/26290254
  * LC - http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n94036700
  * ISNI - http://isni.org/isni/0000000035290715

At least these identifiers are (for the most part) “cool”.

I have a new-to-me hammer, and these identifiers can play a nice role in linked data. For example:

  @prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> .
  <http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/07378831211213201> dc:creator
    "http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9952-7800" ,
    "http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n94036700" ,
    "http://isni.org/isni/0000000035290715" ,
    "http://viaf.org/viaf/26290254" .

How have any of y’all used theses sorts of identifiers, and what problems do you think you will be able to solve by doing so? For example, I know of a couple of instances where these sort of identifiers are being put into MARC records.

—
Eric Morgan