Others have made excellent contributions to this thread, which I won't
repeat, but I feel it's worth asking the question:

Who is systematically cross walking these identifiers?

The only party I'm aware of doing this in a large-scale fashion is
Wikipedia, via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Authority_control

cheers
stuart