Hi,

Of course there are more identifier systems (or domains, if you will).

Most/many authors in The Netherlands have a Digital Author Identifier
(DAI), which is the record number in the GGC (Gemeenschappelijk
Geautomatiseerd Catalogiseersysteem), or Shared Automated Catalogue
system.
The DAIs are assigned by (university) libraries and in the case of
university libraries assigning/finding DAIs for their researchers, the DAI
is usually linked to the employee in the repository. Following
"EduStandaard" agreements [0] among all Dutch universities and some
service providers like my employer DANS and the National Library of the
Netherlands (KB), we can harvest the IRs and link publications to
researcher profiles and show them in NARCIS [1].

[0]:
http://www.edustandaard.nl/afspraken%20en%20architectuur/beheerde-afspraken
/
[1]: http://www.narcis.nl

Setup as a service by a company called Pica, the GGC is now hosted by OCLC
after Pica merged into OCLC [2]. The authority files for authors together
are called the NTA ([Dutch Thesaurus Author names]).

[2]: http://www.oclc.org/nl-NL/ggc.html

OCLC is also hosting the ISNI database and VIAF (of course). VIAF, as you
know, was setup as a crosswalk of authority files (including the NTA).
OCLC are working on crosswalking identifiers, AFAIK.

Please be aware that ISNI is a /name/ identifier. Pseudonyms and birth
names for the same person (should) get different ISNIs. And, as said
before, not only people can get ISNIs. Also, the business models for ORCID
and ISNI are different.

As a Linked Data aside, Eric, be aware of what an identifier identifies -
and then how you make assertions using them.
For example, ORCID doesn't use the hash or 303 pattern, so if you resolve
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9952-7800 you get a webpage, i.e.
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9952-7800 identifies a webpage (the same goes
for DOIs, btw). That is why I say about myself (in Turtle):

    <http://companjen.name/id/BC> dct:identifier
"http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7023-9047" .

instead of

    <http://companjen.name/id/BC> owl:sameAs
<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7023-9047> .

… for I am not a website.

Linking me to things I make is done like so (Qualified DC):

    <#thing> dct:creator <http://companjen.name/id/BC> .

In your example you used the identifiers as names for the creator(s); it
is as meaningful as saying (in unqualified/simple DC):

    <#thing> dc:creator "Eric Lease Morgan" .

Hope this helps :)

Groeten van Ben