We did a short write-up of the thoughts behind our little name app at
Open Repositories last year.

Here is a link to the paper.
http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc172365/

We currently create new name records for people when they get added
to the UNT Scholarly Works Repository.  We aren't creating records for
all possible authors,  just authors that we come into contact with from
submitted items.

As we add a new author we try to link them to VIAF, LoC, ResearchGate,
our local faculty profile system and a few other places.

Right now we are still storing the authorized name format in the records
and not the identifier but that is something we are working through so that
we can store the identifiers and not just the name strings.

Each name record has an added link which sends you into the digital
collections to view items with that name in the metadata.

I've had a number of people ask about the code for this and we will work
to get it added to our github repository.  It is a very simple Django app.

And a final random note,  we are also starting to create records for buildings
on our campus as we digitize more of our university archives.  Here is a record
for our research park building.
http://digital2.library.unt.edu/name/nm0003770/

Mark