Hi all,

Seeing this thread I checked with the ISNI team and got the following
answer from Janifer Gatenby who asked me to post it on her behalf:

SNI identifies “public identities”.    The scope as stated in the standard
is

“This International Standard specifies the International Standard name
identif*i*er (ISNI) for the identification of public identities of parties;
that is, the identities used publicly by parties involved throughout the
media content industries in the creation, production, management, and
content distribution chains.”

The relevant definitions are:

*3.1*

*party*

natural person or legal person, whether or not incorporated, or a group of
either

*3.3*

*public identity*

Identity of a *party *(3.1) or a fictional character that is or was
presented to the public

*3.4*

*name*

character string by which a *public identity *(3.3) is or was commonly
referenced

A party may have multiple public identities and a public identity may have
multiple names (e.g. pseudonyms)

ISNI data is available as linked data.  There are currently 8 million ISNIs
assigned and 16 million links.

Example:

[image: <image001.png>]

~Richard.