Two strings denote the same public identity if both names are inten*t*ionally
a linguistic or orthographic variant of each other and the public identity
identifiers the same "party".

Intentionality is important because of cases like "Ian Banks" and "Ian M
Banks", which are different public identities even though they both
identify the same party (formerly a natural person, now Spirits).

I *believe* that names that are not linguistic or orthographic variants
require a new ISNI, but I might be mistaken.

Simon