Hi Eric,

What distinguishes one from another?

The communities behind them, the [often overlapping] communities they
are intended to serve, and the technical implementation.

As a librarian, why should I care?

I would, as a non-librarian, suggest that once you are happy with
the ‘authority’ of them, you shouldn’t have to care. Ideally, we are not
there yet, systems should be flexible and accommodating enough to link to
any appropriate authority.

I will probably get flamed for over generalisation here but - VIAF is
an aggregation of National Libraries Authority files.  - ISNI is a more
publisher focused but similar effort.  - OCID comes from and and tries to
serve individual academic institutions, their researchers and falsity
authors.

          authority control |simple identifier |Linked Data capability
         +-----------------+------------------+--------------+
  VIAF   |        X        |    X             |      X       |
         +-----------------+------------------+--------------+
  ORCID  |                 |     X            |              |
   ISNI  |        X        |     X            |    X         |

~Richard

--
Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate