Sorry, I left out an important phrase in the ISNI sentence below:  "An ISNI, in contrast, may be assigned to an individual by an external agency, often for rights-tracking purposes, as in the case of recorded performances."
--DBL

From: David Lowe
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 4:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [CODE4LIB] orcid and researcherid and scopus, oh my

Been tracking the ORCiD/ISNI thing for a few months now.  Here was a nice graphic that I think this group will appreciate of how CU-Boulder sees ORCiDs across their systems from a recent ORCiD event:

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Individual academics (especially grant-related folks) should get and use ORCiDs, which either the individual can register for or their affiliate institutions may assign in batches with an institutional membership.  An ISNI, in contrast, may be assigned to an individual, often for rights-tracking purposes, as in the case of recorded performances.  Also ISNIs can be given to organizations ("corporate bodies," in catalogerese) while ORCiDs are only for individuals.

--DBL