AVPreserve is pleased to announce the release of our Cost of Inaction Calculator, a free online tool that helps organizations make well-informed decisions regarding the digitization of legacy physical audiovisual media and to understand the implications of different choices.

COI adds a data point to ROI, or Return on Investment, and helps articulate what stands to be lost or gained in terms of finances, access, and intellect based on different scenarios related to digitization, physical storage, digital storage, and media longevity.

This tool is not an argument to digitize everything, but rather to help caretakers make informed decisions that promote and enable progress towards taking action. With the window closing on our opportunity to preserve the audiovisual record we can't do everything, but we can do something. COI is a means to quantify what that something can be.

The Cost of Inaction Calculator and supporting documentation are available at https://coi.avpreserve.com/. Watch a video explaining the rationale behind COI at https://coi.avpreserve.com/rationale

All feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Best,

Chris

Chris Lacinak
AVPreserve