I am a big fan of xibo: Xibo.org.uk, we use it for the display in our lobby
on a $500 Flat screen, we just hook up a laptop with an HDMI cable and set
xibo to run on startup. we just have it running on an apache vhost. Even
better: they have a python based client that should work on the pi.

Riley Childs
Senior
Asst. IT Services Director
Library Guru