What everybody else has said is completely true -- the type of data makes a
huge, huge difference in how you want to present it on the Web.

If it's social-sciences-type data, though, and you're interested in making
it explorable in a regular web browser, you might take a look at SDA. SDA
stands for "Survey Documentation and Analysis," but it will work on any
data that you can reasonably represent in a spreadsheet-type format (rows
of cases with columns of values for different variables), even if it's an
overwhelmingly massive number of rows and columns. It's not cheap, but I
really like the user experience from the front end. (I teach a *lot* of
students to use it when I'm wearing my data services librarian hat.)
http://sda.berkeley.edu/

IASSIST (the International Association for Social Science Information
Science and Technology) is a good resource on this topic for social
sciences data:
http://www.iassistdata.org/resources/category/data-management-and-curation.
Their mailing list is closed, but I'm a member, so if you're working with
social sciences data I'd be happy to post your question there and pass on
any responses.

Julia

Julia Bauder

Social Studies and Data Services Librarian

Grinnell College Libraries

1111 Sixth Ave.

Grinnell, IA 50112