Depending on your service model, I suggest either a project management
system like Unfuddle (hosted) or Redmine (installed, but available hosted),
or a ticket system like Request Tracker (installed) or Zendesk (hosted).

Ticket systems are best where there is a simple model of request and
service. Tickets can be assigned internally, but most systems only support
a single requestor. In other words, they don't support larger conversations.

Project management software is best when there are multiple participants on
both sides and you want to memorialize everything.

We use Unfuddle and Jira project management systems. We support
organizations using Pivotal Tracker, an agile-specific system, and we have
also built Drupal integration with Kayako, a sophisticated ticketing system.

Many organizations use Basecamp, which is a more free-form system. It
didn't work for us.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of systems available. I have listed
the URLs fo the ones I mention below.

Thanks,

Cary

https://basecamp.com