I have a couple I use, a Symbol LS2208 with a USB lead and for
portable I use one of the units like supermarkets use, a Wasp WPA206
it is old and has WinCE on it and talks to the wifi.
I use these because they work with the very small barcode labels I got hold of.
The system uses html data collection so not that difficult to use.

Dave Caroline