"Any barcode scanner will do" is not true,
some fail on certain code types others need large type as they are
blind as a bat.
I only mentioned the ones that worked on the tiny barcodes I use.

I have a shelf.php screen that is either used on the main PC via USB
or the same php via wifi, one selects the location field and scan it,
the contents that were there are listed and the status changed from
confirmed to located, then scan all the items in the box/on the shelf,
all the items scanned are then marked confirmed, when finished at the
end there is a button to set "lost" for all the items that were awol.
If lucky they get located as one scans other shelves else...dont panic
might turn up one day.

Dave Caroline