Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> For this project, there is really only a handful of big images, and simplicity of server-side is a priority -- so I think it's actually okay to pre-render all the tiles in advance, and avoid an actual image server -- to the extent tools can work with this.

to make static tiles:
for deepzoom vips[1] is the faster. as version 7.30[2] you can run
$ vips dzsave huge.tif my_dz_dir
deepzoom.py[3] is another option, but slower.

if you want to consider zoomify (usable with a leaflet plugin)
there is zoomifyimage[4]. inside the package in
contrib/netpbm_shell_script you'll find a bash script[5] wrapping netpbm

--
raffaele, @atomotic

[1] http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
[2] http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=What%27s_New_in_7.30