I'll chime in a bit late on this that static file support is also a use
case for IIIF and something we've kept in mindd while working on the
APIs. This is the model for "level0" compliance [6].

A while ago I made a little demo of OpenSeadragon over IIIF Image API
1.1 using tiles and included a tile generator [7]. It is python using
PIL and tile generation is not optimized!

Cheers,
Simeon

[6] http://www-sul.stanford.edu/iiif/image-api/1.1/compliance.html#level0
[7] https://github.com/zimeon/iiif/tree/master/demo