I agree with Giles' opinion that your regular handheld barcode scanner
is sufficient for 95% of use cases and it's a very simple machine --
brand means almost nothing. If the issue is cost, when I wanted one for
scanning my own home collection I got a used library barcode scanner
(Symbol 1908T-X) on eBay for $9 (+$20 shipping) and then looked up the
manual online to customize the settings.

--
Ruth Collings
Web Librarian