As I recall, the community discussion surrounding the CodeOfConduct4Lib intended to make its application broader than in-person events such as the conferences.  Since Coral described Geek Feminism as an anarchist collective (sounding very similar to Code4Lib in that respect), I went to read their Code of Conduct with an eye towards how they apply sanctions to a community without boundaries of who can participate.  After all, it is one thing to have the power to expel someone from a physical meeting venue; it is quite another to try to expel someone from a virtual space with self-selected aliases and e-mail addresses.  The GF sanctions part reads:

> Consequences
>
> Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
>
> If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the Geek Feminism Anti-Abuse Team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Geek Feminism spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other GF members or the general public.

I think that is probably the best we could do in Code4Lib spaces as well.

What I do like about the GF statement is the inclusion of a “Anti-Abuse Team” with rotating representatives.  We have the designated conference representatives and the @helpers on the IRC channel, but having a team that crosses all spaces would help provide strength in cohesiveness.  I presume there is also a manual of practices that the team follows to investigate reports.  (If there is, I’d like to adopt and adapt that, too.)

Peter

--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development