On Jul 25, 2014, at 11:36 AM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> Does anyone have a good solution to recommend for display of very large images on the web?  I'm thinking of something that supports pan and scan, as well as loading only certain tiles for the current view to avoid loading an entire giant image.
>
> A URL to more info to learn about things would be another way of answering this question, especially if it involves special server-side software.  I'm not sure where to begin. Googling around I can't find any clearly good solutions.
>
> Has anyone done this before and been happy with a solution?

If you store the images in JPEG2000, you can pull tiles or different resolutions out via JPIP (JPEG 2000 Interactive Protocol)

Unfortunately, most web browsers don't support JPIP directly, so you have to set up a proxy for it.

For an example, see Helioviewer:

	http://helioviewer.org/

Documentation and links to their JPIP server are available at:

	http://wiki.helioviewer.org/wiki/JPIP_Server

-Joe