From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Geoffrey Spear
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 2:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Software to track website changes?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Francis Kayiwa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Another +1 for Github Issues. If you’re uncomfortable putting the
>> website in a public repo they’ve given us 50 private repositories for
>> free and have asked us to spread the word. You can just head over to
>> https://education.github.com/ and request a discount for your
>> organization - they’ve been amazing to work with. =)
>>

> I had (sample of one) to jump through so many hoops and still couldn't
> convince them to give me what you got.
>
> FWIW All bitbucket needs is a .edu account and they will give you
> unlimited repos. Sure not as *cool* as github but also has had less
> bad press than github. ;-)

We use bitbucket for both the free private repos and issue tracking here.

In my experience, their issue tracker is not nearly as good at Github's (which isn't particularly surprising since they'd like you to pay for Jira.)

Github's education discounts looked to me like they were aimed specifically at teaching rather than being free for any use by an educational institution when I looked at them, but I don't remember if there was specific language that gave me that impression or just vague "use github in the classroom!" marketing. I know Jira does actually distinguish between "use at an educational institution" and "classroom use" in their discounted vs. free policy.

If I could get free Travis for Private Repos along with free Github I'd switch in a second; I don't know that the improved issue tracker alone would be worth the effort for me.
--
Geoffrey Spear
Metadata Manager