From: Joe Hourcle<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Sent: ý7/ý14/ý2014 9:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] net.fun

On Jul 14, 2014, at 8:21 AM, Riley Childs wrote:

> My MOTDs are not as fun...
>
> RUN GET OUT OF HERE
> YOU ARE NOT WELCOME TODAY
> RESTRICTED ACCESS HERE.

I would expect that in the banner, not the motd:

        $ more /etc/banner

        This US Government computer is for authorized users only. By accessing
        this system you are consenting to complete monitoring with no
        expectation of privacy. Unauthorized access or use may subject you to
        disciplinary action and criminal prosecution.

The banner gets displayed before the login prompt, the motd gets displayed after ... there's also an assumption that the motd changes regularly, as it's 'message of the day' ... although most people have it be completely random and just call fortune or never bother changing it.

-Joe