This will not answer your question, but LIBER has a response to the TDM
API policies:
http://libereurope.eu/news/over-40-signatories-ask-elsevier-to-withdraw-tdm
-policy/ Peter Murray-Rust posted quite a few times about it on his blog
too, e.g. http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2014/06/10/6054/

The main objection is that the licence for usage is too narrow - and that
most libraries already pay for access. I recall that you cannot do
[anything useful] with whatever you find while TDMing this data.

If you want to be entitled, you have to sign Elsevier's contract. You seem
to know more about the practical side of things here than I do.

Groeten van Ben

(Not speaking on behalf of anyone else here.)