Thanks again all,

I love OpenRefine - I've been working on the GOKb project (http://gokb.org) where K-Int (a UK based company) have developed an extension for OpenRefine which helps with the cleaning of data about electronic resources (esp. journals) from publishers and then pushes it into the GOKb database. The extension is fully integrated into the GOKb database but if anyone wants a look code is at https://github.com/k-int/gokb-phase1/tree/dev/refine. The extension checks the data and reports errors as well as offering ways of fixing common issues - there's more on the wiki https://wiki.kuali.org/display/OLE/OpenRefine+How-Tos

I did pitch an OpenRefine workshop for the same event as a 'data wrangling/cleaning' tool but the 'automation' session got the vote in the end - although there is definitely overlap. However I am delivering an OpenRefine workshop at the British Library next week - and great to see it is getting used across libraries.

The Google Doc Spreadsheets is also a great tip - I've run a course at the British Library which uses this to introduce the concept of APIs to non-techies. I blogged the original tutorial at http://www.meanboyfriend.com/overdue_ideas/2013/02/introduction-to-apis/ but a change to the BL open data platform means this no longer works :((

Thanks all again - I'll be trying to put stuff from the automation workshop online at some point and I'll post here when there is something up.

Best wishes,

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting