Dear NDSA Standards Members,

Apologies for any cross-posting, but my colleague Gail Truman and I wanted to reach out to members of the NDSA Standards Working Group.  With the conference just around the corner, we wanted to alert all of you that we will be co-chairing a panel on strategizing R&D for digital cultural heritage – we certainly hope you can attend!

In particular, we are interested in hearing from the field about what you see as the most important trends in the development of standards and practices for the humanities and arts preservation community.  In many ways, we see this session as a follow-up to the wonderful recent call-in sessions around the topic of digital art preservation hosted by the Working Group.  As a lead-up to the session, we wrote a blog post on The Signal introducing the topic and soliciting comments: http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2014/07/research-and-development-for-digital-cultural-heritage-preservation-a-virtual-and-in-person-open-forum/ (there is also a Q&A on the new Digital Preservation site as well: http://qanda.digipres.org/153/what-research-development-needs-digital-cultural-heritage).

Our hope is that the comments we receive will help inform our NDSA discussion and beyond.  It would be wonderful if you could contribute something, however brief, to the discussion even if you won’t be in attendance.  You can use the opportunity to discuss any updates on your own work, other projects that may be noteworthy, broader developments, observations – the sky’s the limit!  Also, feel free to pass this posting around on the social web if you’d like.

We hope to see many of you at the upcoming conference!

Best,

Josh and Gail

Joshua Sternfeld

Senior Program Officer